Looking after our priests
- Investment in the on-going formation and care of the clergy during their working lives and especially in retirement – minimum required is £3.5 million
Latest news from the February 2013 newsletter
Supporting our Clergy who are struggling to remain mobile through ill health or old age is one of the many ways we are using TiF funds to support our Sick & Retired Clergy.
We have in the past year installed 2 Stair Lifts, a Walk in Shower, 2 Orthopaedic Beds,extra lighting and handrails to help with mobility issues.
We are also covering the cost of Nursing Home care for 3 of our priests who are no longer well enough to care for themselves.
Our Clergy who have served the Diocese so well deserve a happy and dignified retirement and we are doing all we can to ensure this is the case. Please keep them in your prayers.
* * * * * * *
Priests serve the people of the Diocese above themselves. Catholics across the community now have the opportunity to support the men who have given their lives to the Church, both by helping with their care (during their working lives in parishes as well as in retirement) and by contributing to their on-going formation.
Together in Faith will provide for
- retirement (the average annual cost of supporting a retired priest is £10,300, rising with inflation),
- more adequate support for sick priests
- ensuring a strong support network for priests (workshops, seminars and spiritual advisors), and
- helping with continuing education to foster renewal and have a positive impact on parish life.